Monday 13 June 2011

Metalhead sketch - and the Discotronic Funk Commandos

Here is a Jack Kirby homage-style sketch of my character Metalhead, who is one of the main antagonists of my very own Discotronic Funk Commandos. I've just recently discovered the joy of drawing in blue-line pencil... and am really pleased with how this sketch turned out.

The Maniacal METALHEAD.
™ and © 2011 Simon Williams. 

The Discotronic Funk Commandos are characters I created wayyyy back in 1996 (which makes this their 15th anniversary! Wow!). They are a group of superheroes from the 1970s, each character being a parody of various bands and musicians from that time. Although never seen in print (not yet, anyway), I have worked on several stories featuring the sensational seventies crime-fighters. Check out the cover below (drawn circa 2000... a homage to Gil Kane and Dave Cockrum's cover to Giant-size X-Men #1), plus a great review by UK cartoonist/Marvel UK legend Lew Stringer here on his excellent comics blog.

The DISCOTRONIC FUNK COMMANDOS
™ and © 2011 Simon Williams. 

Let me know if you'd like to see more of the Discotronic Funk Commandos... I definitely plan on doing something with them in the near future.